Sunday, February 15, 2009

Baby Knits

I love to knit hats for new babies. Hats and booties. They're fast and fun, relatively useful, and once you have it down, you can get really creative. I have a huge stash of 7 Setembre and Baby Ull that I use because it is so soft and washable, and I don't have to knit a swatch. I loved the colors of the 7 Setembre, but I'm not sure they make it anymore.

This hat is from Knits from the Heart by Kristin Spurklund. I think the flower was from a Nicky Epstein book. The booties are from Knitting for Baby by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas, again, embelished with a Nicky Epstein Flower. The boy booties underneath are the same pattern but with a sawtooth trim from Domino Knitting by Vivian Høxbro. I made a coordinating hat to go with the boy booties, too. For twins Finn and Charlotte.

This beanie is from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms by Louisa Harding. I was a little disappointed with this one. The nature of the beanie, I guess, is that it doesn't sit far down on the head. It never really stayed on my daughter's head. The booties are from Knits from the heart, again, and they didn't stay on either. But the entire set was awfully cute as part of my daughter's going home outfit.


My husband picked out the outfit, as he did for our first daughter. Check out the skulls Happy Heiny.


And here is little Ivy dwarfed by her ensemble.

These are my favorites. This is the boy version of the hat from Knits from the heart, and the same booties, unadorned. I always think it would be cute to make these booties in a neutral color with interchangeable bright laces to match any outfit. Or with laces in pink and blue for those old fashioned folks who don't know the sex ahead of time. (I was one of those old fashioned people, so I can say that.) But I never feel like making up all that I-cord. Imagine.


And here are hats for more twins. These were a first birthday present for Drew and Ella knit with Artyarns Supermerino, which was lovely. The pattern is the Baby/Kids' Earflap Hat by Hey Julie. I added the tassles and trim. The trim is based on Zoe Mellor's cabled earflap hat with garter stitch trim in Adorable Knits for Tots. Unfortunately, I forgot to go down a needle size when I put the trim on, so it sticks out a little. And that bit of pooling makes me cringe, but the kids didn't seem to mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment